Public Communications Division
The Public Communications Division (PC) acts as the Ministry’s interface between the Government and external actors in terms of information dissemination and projection of Sri Lanka’s image as well as promotion of its interests abroad through Sri Lanka Missions and the international media.
The main subjects that come under purview of the PC Division includes communication and public diplomacy, promotion of Sri Lanka and its interests abroad, countering adverse propaganda, interaction with Diaspora, projection of the Government’s view points and positions on relevant issues internationally etc.
- The PC Division is responsible for keeping Sri Lanka Missions abroad duly updated on Government’s perspective on issues/concerns and current developments. Coordinate media coverage of H.E. the President, Hon. Minister of External Affairs and other officials. Monitoring of print and electronic media coverage/reports on Sri Lanka, and where necessary compile and issue rebuttals to counter adverse coverage. Dispatching of daily news clippings to Sri Lanka Missions Abroad and Press Releases to media with a view to updating them on all issues of relevance to Sri Lanka vis-à-vis international developments that have ramifications on Sri Lanka’s security, political, socio economic and regional/sub-regional interests.
- Coordinating appointments for visiting media personnel with VVIPs and government officials and visits of foreign journalists and media crew to Sri Lanka.
- Organizing Ministry Press Briefings and Diplomatic Briefings
- Updating the Ministry Web Site : www.mea.gov.lk
- Compilation of Special Publications and news releases on Sri Lanka’s Foreign Policy
- In the capacity of Ministry Spokesperson, Director General of the Public Communications Division provides information to queries from local and foreign media.
- When deemed necessary, the Division coordinates with relevant government organizations and institutions in Sri Lanka in providing information on current political, economic and social developments, post conflict activities, labour welfare, culture and tourism etc. to Sri Lanka Missions to counter adverse propaganda.
- The Division coordinates and dispatches important publications from Sri Lanka to Missions Abroad on a regular basis.
- The Division prepares, special publications/reports and audio visual material for important events such as National Day, Deyata Kirula, and Vesak etc.
- Maintains the Information Resource Base (IRB) as a depositary for files on LTTE activity, political Consultations etc. for easy reference. The Terrorism segment of the Information Resource Base (IRB) is regularly placed on-line enabling researchers and other concerned parties to browse IRB material on-line.
- Monitor country Travel Advisories and coordinate with Missions Abroad on negative reporting with a view to amending such travel advisories during bilateral discussions with the host country.
- The Division coordinates with line agencies and Sri Lanka Missions Abroad in organizing film festivals, cultural events and tourism related activities.
- The Division facilitates requests for Sinhala and Tamil translations of the Ministry.
This division is currently headed by Actg. Director General Mr. Satya Rodrigo.
Telephone : 0094-(0)11 2 439 040
Fax : 0094-(0)11 2 472 488
General Contact Details of Public Communications Division
Telephone : 0094 11 2 437 633
Fax : 0094 11 2 472 488